Talk about Music and Robots
Music robotics is a field rarely covered, where musicians and technicians work on the future of musical instruments and the use of robots and art.
Moritz Simon Geist, the founder of Sonic Robots, is well known for this mechanical drum robot MR-808, a replica of the famous 1980s electronic drum machine where robots play the drum sounds.
The first part of this talk provides an overview of the different concepts and approaches to robotic musical instruments. We will look at the history of music robots, discover the most amazing projects in this field and characterize the different kinds of robotic devices.
The second part deals with techniques used to create music robots. A overview on our robots is presented as well as the production process.
The following topics will be discussed in detail:
- The introduction of “error” through the transformation of sound production in the (erroneous) physical world
- Explanation of common techniques (Microcontroller programming, Prototyping)
- Controlling latencies
- Structure and electric control, Arduino
- Actuators used
- Duration: 45 – 60min.
- Language: German, English
- Video: Talk at 31C3 Hamburg
- Transmediale 2014
- and many more.