Moritz Simon Geist
Moritz Simon Geist is a performer, musicologist, and robotics engineer. He started because he wants to invent the future of electronic music – with robots! Geist’s projects range from robotic music performances to robotic sound installations. His robotic instruments and performances have been shown in numerous European festivals and exhibitions throughout the last years. He collaborates with performers such as Mouse on Mars or Robert Lippok and teaches on the progression of technology and society at the NYU Berlin. He was awarded numerours internation awards. His background is both as a classical musician and a robotics engineer, with an expertise in prototyping technologies and 3D-Printing.
“These are new machines, manufacturing a new kind of machine music.”
“It doesn’t get much geekier than this!”
-NEW YORK TIMES
“When Moritz Simon Geist plays a techno show, Moritz Simon Geist doesn’t reach for a laptop. Instead, he calls on his army of sonic robots—a collection of small, motorized creations that click, clank, and whirr in an intricate mechanical symphony. The result isn’t just a dynamic, throbbing album full of electrifying techno. For Geist, it’s a way to push the frontiers of electronic musicmaking.”
In no particular order, here are the great people who make most of this happen:
Management. Label things. Keeps cool in hot situations.
Anika is a “Jill of all trades”, owning her own publishing company Oh My Music, and juggling small and big events all over the world. Here, Anika does the managment, label handling, tour managment.
Video Coding. Best Hacker. All the hot IT shit
Karsten Gebbert is an media artist turned computer gur primarily interested in functional programming, distributed systems and sound synthesis. He earned a degree in Fine Art from Middelsex University London in 2007, and went on to teaching electronics at Central Saint-Martins, London. He worked as a software engineer at several startup companies in Berlin.
Electronics. Real Engineer. Everything that blinks.
Being an studied electronics engineer, Lennart takes the robotic electronic designs to the next level. He has a deep understanding of syntheziser and DSP programmimg, C++, and µC Programming. Lennart also works for our friends from Bastl-instruments.
Jakob A. Geist
Communications. Tourplanings. Feelgood Manager
Jakob A. Geist has a background in classical singing, african percussion. He is a vocalist in various projects and performed at music festivals and numerous venues all over Europe. Jakob is responsible for PR, Collaborations as well as the productions.
Drum Tech. Woodworking. All the details.
Gero, also know as the Drumdoktor, cares for mechanical builds, wooden and 3D-printed works, with a love for all the details and tonal acoustic builds.
Social Media Guru. For ALL the networks!
Katharina is an “Experienced Digital Tranformation Consultant” (says her XING profile), and we could convince here to manage the numerous social media sites with her year long expertise.
Mechanics. Logistics. Design
Carl has a background in design and photography, with a focus materials and objects.Link
Moritz Simon Geist: Selected Grands and Awards
- Working Grant Projektförderung der Kulturstiftung des Freistaates Sachsen
- Working Grant 37. Round of the Initiative Music, German Arts Funding 2017
- Visual Music Award First price in the Category “Visual Music Live Contest” 2017
- Working Grant Working Grant of the City of Dresden (Amt für Kulturförderung) 2016/2017 for the piece “Soft Manipulator”
- Artist in Residency Grant Artist-in-Residence-Stipend of the Freestate of Saxony 2013
Selected Presentations and Publications
- Exhibition and Performance e.g. Mutek Barcelona 2017, Ars Electronica, Mapping Festival (CH), NCCA Moscow (RU), Transmediale (DE) Rocolective Festival (RO), Amsterdam Dance Event (NL), WWW Tokio (JP), Jerusalem Light festival, Co-Pop Cologne (DE) and many more
- Talk “The Speculative Future of Art, Music and Technologie” Talk at Most Wanted: Music Conference
- Talk “Marvin und der Blues” Music robots talk and Workshop at the Re:publica Berlin, 29C3 Congress Hamburg, Dorkbot Berlin, Ableton Meeting, Reeperbahnfestival
- Talk “Schlaflos im Weltall“ Talk about coffein and hacker drinks Republica, 2012
- Card game “Hackerbrause Quartett” Publish of the card game “Hackerbrause Quartett”
Selected Audio Publications
Guest Musician on Mouse On Mars, “Dimensional People” (Thrill Jockey)
Contribution to Robert Lippok , “What is Dance?” (Installation)
Contribution to Mouse On Mars, “Lichter” (Infinite Greyscale)
As Pjetro Moki, “Endoskopia” (neureal004)
As Simon Geist, “Simon Geist” (neureal003)
As Pjetro Moki, “Neurogenica” (neureal001)