Moritz Simon Geist
Moritz Simon Geist is a performer, musicologist, and robotics engineer. He started because he wants to invent the future of electronic music – with robots! Geist’s projects range from robotic music performances to robotic sound installations. His robotic instruments and performances have been shown in numerous European festivals and exhibitions throughout the last years. He collaborates with performers such as Mouse on Mars or Robert Lippok and teaches on the progression of technology and society at the NYU Berlin. He was awarded numerours internation awards. His background is both as a classical musician and a robotics engineer, with an expertise in prototyping technologies and 3D-Printing.
“These are new machines, manufacturing a new kind of machine music.”
“It doesn’t get much geekier than this!”
-NEW YORK TIMES
“When Moritz Simon Geist plays a techno show, Moritz Simon Geist doesn’t reach for a laptop. Instead, he calls on his army of sonic robots—a collection of small, motorized creations that click, clank, and whirr in an intricate mechanical symphony. The result isn’t just a dynamic, throbbing album full of electrifying techno. For Geist, it’s a way to push the frontiers of electronic musicmaking.”
In no particular order, here are the great people who help make all of this happen:
Anika is the “Jill of all trades”, owning her own publishing company Oh My Music, and juggling big events all over the world. If you want something from Moritz, chance are you have to ask her, first.
Head of Workshop
Jonas is a sculpture artist turned media craftsman and the careful heart of the studio. With his “magic hands” he builds a lot of the mechanical parts of the installations.
Electronical Produktion, Programming and Hacking
Paul is the McGyver type secret weapon for the late shift between 3am and 6am on the finish to the deadline. He is also known as “the war machine” of media art manufacturing and can build a flame thrower out of office supplies. For research, obviously.
Social Media Guru. For ALL the networks!
Katharina is an “Experienced Digital Tranformation Consultant” (says her XING profile), and I could convince here to manage the numerous social media sites with her year long expertise.
Design and Crafting
Mareike cares for hands- on builds, textile, wooden and 3D-printed works, with a love for all the details.
Designer and Logistics
Carl has a background in design and photography, with a focus on materials and objects. Here he is our part-time logistics expert and full time design-pro.Link
Moritz Simon Geist: Selected Grands and Awards
- Nominated for VIA / VUT Indie Award 2019
- Working Grant Projektförderung der Kulturstiftung des Freistaates Sachsen
- Working Grant 37. Round of the Initiative Music, German Arts Funding 2017
- Visual Music Award First price in the Category “Visual Music Live Contest” 2017
- Working Grant Working Grant of the City of Dresden (Amt für Kulturförderung) 2016/2017 for the piece “Soft Manipulator”
- Artist in Residency Grant Artist-in-Residence-Stipend of the Freestate of Saxony 2013
Selected Presentations and Publications
- Exhibition and Performance e.g. Mutek Barcelona 2017, Ars Electronica, Mapping Festival (CH), NCCA Moscow (RU), Transmediale (DE) Rocolective Festival (RO), Amsterdam Dance Event (NL), WWW Tokio (JP), Jerusalem Light festival, Co-Pop Cologne (DE) and many more
- Talk “The Speculative Future of Art, Music and Technologie” Talk at Most Wanted: Music Conference
- Talk “Marvin und der Blues” Music robots talk and Workshop at the Re:publica Berlin, 29C3 Congress Hamburg, Dorkbot Berlin, Ableton Meeting, Reeperbahnfestival
- Talk “Schlaflos im Weltall“ Talk about coffein and hacker drinks Republica, 2012
- Card game “Hackerbrause Quartett” Publish of the card game “Hackerbrause Quartett”
Selected Audio Publications
Guest Musician on Mouse On Mars, “Dimensional People” (Thrill Jockey)
Contribution to Robert Lippok , “What is Dance?” (Installation)
Contribution to Mouse On Mars, “Lichter” (Infinite Greyscale)
As Pjetro Moki, “Endoskopia” (neureal004)
As Simon Geist, “Simon Geist” (neureal003)
As Pjetro Moki, “Neurogenica” (neureal001)